Thursday, February 18, 2021

How to Make an Essential Oil Roller

How to Make an Essential Oil Roller

Making essential oil rollers is one of the most convenient ways to experience your essential oils, because rather than hunting around for multiple bottles, you can simply grab your roller and roll your combo on!

There are several reasons you might want to make a roller:

  • You like the way a specific combo smells, and you use it as perfume or as a pick-me-up (for example, Stress Away, Valor, Bergamot, and Frankincense!)
  • You are always diluting an oil, so pre-diluting it in a roller makes it more convenient to use (for example, pre-diluting Thieves to rub on the spine)
  • You use a specific combo of oils for a specific issue (for example, Peace & Calming and Lavender to use before bed)

First – Quality Matters

With essential oils, you get what you pay for.  There are no standards for essential oils currently, so if you’re just picking something up at the grocery store or even the health food store, there’s no way to know how pure or potent that oil is, or if it is even real essential oil.  I only and exclusively use Young Living because of their Seed to Seal standard.  Remember that just because you see a label that says ‘pure’, there is no standard for what that means, so you really need to know the company’s growing, harvesting, and testing practices!

So Easy!

Making a roller is so easy.  You simply add your essential oils to your bottle, and then fill the rest of the bottle with a carrier oil.  Pop on a roller top, and you’re ready to roll!

How Many Drops of Essential Oil?

This is just a guide, you can adjust up or down in terms of the number of drops you use as you see fit.  Standard rollerball bottles are usually 10ml in size, but you can also repurpose your empty 5ml or 15ml bottles.  Here is the guide I use for how many drops of essential oil to use:

  • Standard 10ml rollerball bottle: 20-30 drops of essential oil
  • 5ml bottle: 10-15 drops of essential oil
  • 15ml bottle: 30-45 drops of essential oil

What Type of Carrier?

My favorite carrier oils for rollers are Young Living’s V-6 or organic fractionated coconut oil.  You can use any high quality liquid carrier oil (fatty oil) you’d like, you just want to make sure it doesn’t have it’s own smell especially if you are making a perfume roller.  Other good choices are organic jojoba, sunflower, or safflower oil.

If you want a twist on your rollers, you can use Young Living’s Mirah Hair Oil or Mirah Shave Oil as your carrier (this adds a pretty, feminine scent) or even one of Young Living’s CBD oils to make your own CBD Roller!  You can also use any of the massage oils as a carrier!

Bottles and Rollers

The best 10ml roller bottles I have gotten have been from Etsy.  You can find good deals on rollers on Amazon, but I have gotten several batches where the rollers don’t roll properly.  My favorite bottles have glass or metal roller balls (not plastic), so when I’m on Etsy, that’s what I look for!  If you are repurposing your empty 5ml or 15ml bottles, Young Living’s Aromaglide Roller Fitments are AWESOME and work perfectly every time.  Highly recommend!

Don’t Forget to Label!

When I make a roller, I tell myself every. single. time. I will remember what I put in the bottle.  And EVERY time I forget what I put in the bottle, ha!  To make things easy for myself, I use and love this Dymo Label maker.  You could also use any type of adhesive label and cover it with packing tape so it stays on, or you could get some 3/4″ round labels and put them on the bottom of your bottles.  I usually only have room for a word or two on my label, so I will label it something like ‘Happy Day’ and then keep notes in my phone for what that recipe is.  That way when your roller runs out, you know exactly what you used.

Essential Oil Labels

Favorite Roller Recipes

There are literally endless roller recipes you can make, but I will share with you some of my personal favorites!  Recipes are for a 10ml bottle – add essential oils and fill with carrier:

  • Happy Day: 7 drops of Stress Away, 5 Valor, 5 Bergamot, 3 Frankincense
  • Bliss: 10 drops of Inner Child, 5 Grapefruit, 3 pumps Mirah Hair Oil or Mirah Shave Oil
  • Feelings: 4 drops of each of the Feelings Kit oils (Harmony, Forgiveness, Inner Child, Present Time, Release, Valor)
  • Calm: 7 drops each of Lavender, Peace & Calming, and Stress Away
  • Lovely (Perfume): 4 drops Vanilla, 4 Bergamot, 1 Jasmine, 1 Sandalwood, 1 Blue Tansy, 1 Rose, and 1 Northern Lights Black Spruce

Check out my Pinterest board for lots of roller recipe ideas!  And remember diffuser recipes make great combos for rollers, too (for example, if you see a ‘Focus’ diffuser recipe, you can turn that into a roller recipe).  Here is a short video showing how to make the Happy Day recipe:

Do you make rollers regularly?  Have any favorite recipes? Please share in the comments!

And if you still need to get your oils, check out the Premium Starter Kit or contact me and I’ll help you customize a bundle!

No comments:

Post a Comment